Home  |  As Featured On  |  Advertising  |  Parties I Like!  |  Contact Me  |  About  |  Shop


Saturday, December 5, 2009

Pedestal Picture Frames

Well wasn't this just a comedy of errors?? Like my mom says, "sometimes you make it and sometimes you just gotta buy it". I know I have seen pedestal picture frames before, but they are usually made out of iron. Since I do not know how to forge iron (yet), I decided to give them a try out of wood and some frames I found at the dollar store. You can work with whatever sizes you want. I chose three different sizes. I also picked up some wooden circles at Hobby Lobby to use for bases.



I spray painted everything with Rustoleum's American Accents in Canyon Black.



I measured and cut my dowel to the height I wanted the frames to be (I eyeballed it). I think they ended up being 7 inches long.



Then I used some Gorilla Glue Epoxy to secure the frame to the dowel. This was no easy feat. In fact, I had some serious issues. The frame and the dowel did not want to be secured to each other. I managed to set them up on an old piece of styrofoam and tried to get them to stick.



But, every time I walked away or turned my back, this is what I found.



Over and over again the dowel kept falling. I had to get creative! I carried my fussy frame around the house with me until I spotted it- a Wesco (gas station) popcorn bucket. I propped the frame up against it and voila! It stayed!! (Please pardon the messy kitchen in the background.)



I let the frames dry for awhile and I attempted to drill holes in the round wood circles. After my attempts to epoxy the frames to the dowel, I knew I would need to do more to attach it all to the wooden circle, which is why I decided to pull out the hubby's drill.



My only problem was that I didn't have the right drill bit. So, one side of my brain told me to use the bigger drill bit. Yeah. That didn't work out so well. The other side of my brain told me to use a smaller one. That worked better. (Mental note: listen to that side of brain more often.) So I had to paint my mess-up. Time for more Rustoleum American Accents Canyon Black! That's ok, I saved the other wooden circle for a different project I am working on. Reuse and recycle!



Finally! Everything was going great and I was on the home stretch. I chose some pictures to put in each frame. I cleaned the glass, put them into the frame, began to secure the back and... OH NO! NOT AGAIN!



Ok, that's it! All I could do was laugh. And it was definitely time for some hot glue. I fixed the frame and here is the end result.





Not too bad, for all that work, huh?

I will be linking this to:

Shanty 2 Chic


Metamorphosis Monday

Made it Monday

Dare to DIY
DIY Day @ ASPTL
BCD Show and tell<br />http://www.thethriftyhome.com
Bobbypins Boardwalk
Strut Your Stuff Thursday Thrifty Thursday
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

33 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm so going to make these! Mama has a bunch of Christmas pictures that need frames! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh those turned out super cute! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea, I love laerying picture frames... And with out much table-top space, this project would work perfectly for me!
    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These turned out really cute. No pain, no gain right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. From a redhead to you: these are cool! Nicely done ad persevered!

    Stop by!

    love, kelee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea! Too cute!!

    funtocraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! Your frames turned out cute!
    :o) Trish

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun...sometimes we don't give hot glue enough credit! Love how they turned out. Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey I'm on your blog! I feel so special. :-) Super cute frames, crafty Court!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those turned out so cute! I always want to add height to frames- and those are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very creative idea, love the drama that the height offers the frames - thanks for sharing such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to keep at it until you got it done! Came out great... Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute! Proud of you for sticking with it!
    Hugs!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Courtney(did I get your name right)? I've just strolled in for my first visit...I've enjoyed taking a peek at your past posts. You've got so many wonderful treasures. Your blog is so beautifully inviting.
    We share similar taste for so many of the same creative design elements.

    As fall came to a close I looked forward to winter (that's fast approaching), bringing a festive inspiration for a few DIY decorations and gifts. With a little baking in between.
    Don't you love the aroma that fills the air during this season?
    My cat also appreciates the evergreens and an occasional ping pong toss of my (newly created and not yet dried) ornaments...

    I've bookmarked you in my favs.
    I look forward to coming by your charming blog again.
    Come by for a visit. Your company would be nice.

    Sweet holiday wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  15. So Cute what a great idea. They turned out great. Thank goodness for popcorn buckets. lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a great idea! I love that you showed it's not always as easy as 1 2 3 to get a project the way you envisioned it. The great part is that you persevered. You turned what would have been an ordinary picture frame grouping into something very unique and eye-catching. Very clever and I am so happy you shared it on the Boardwalk Bragfest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this and will be featuring this on my blog! Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are wonderful! You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so laughing at you right now because I TOTALLY Understand! I love reading blogs and they show the steps and everything is nice and neat and no problems. THAT IS SO NOT ME! I can't show the "during" pics because they are a disaster, I am a mess and nobody would continue on reading. I can relate to you so much. Love reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love these-so adorable. Thanks for posting to the party.

    Just an fyi most people are not getting the correct info in their reader-my updates are over 2 weeks old and I have made multiple other posts. I've been on with Google multiple times and they don't have an answer and I am not getting everyones updates in my reader either.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really creative...and I love that it makes your pictures different heights. Don't cha hate when a 'simple' project keeps going haywire??? Glad you could laugh it off and stick with it. They turned out super cute. Feel free to join my weekly Make it for Monday party. Would love to have you :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a clever idea! You can layer pics this way! I would never have come up with this one. Thanks for the extra info in the 'ol internal memory card file bank. :)

    And for linking up to SNS!

    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love these! So much better than just setting a picture out.

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVE the picture frames on the dowels! I love the varying heights! Super cute!!

    www.rachaelsblossoms.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails